Sunday, September 27, 2015

Use Google Documents for Creative Writing

There are a few reasons why I’m using Google Documents for creative writing at the moment:
Auto-save
Much better than having to remember to save your work, or having a big gap of time between saving only to see your system freeze or crash on you. Very convenient, and perhaps MS Word (my backup word-processor these days) has a way of doing this, but I haven’t discovered it.
Cloud-Storage
The chances of Google collapsing and losing your saved work is a lot less likely than having your computer stolen, catching a virus, or somehow having your files overwritten/deleted. Let’s face it.
Access from any computer via the internet
I currently enjoy the luxury of being allowed to use the internet for personal things while I’m on the job, due to downtime. I know that very few people get this privilege, but if you do and you’re into creative writing, this lets you log into Google docs and write while you’re at work. It’s amazing.
Controlled Sharing
For me, this is the main selling point of Google Docs. I collaborate with others as much as I can, and I want people to be able to highlight parts of the text and make comments. GD allows this even to the extent that you can reply to comments or resolve them, and get e-mail updates about them. You can specify access level, making the text ‘read-only’ to certain people if you want. This is great for my writer’s group, we can all work on a story together even though one of us is overseas.
So yeah, Google Documents! I don’t work for Google or have any responsibility for promoting their product, but this particular one has really been a great tool for me as a writer. Definitely recommended.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment